Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sparklewood

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 8:44 am

Sparklewood is my first try at a regular story. It has a less playful, not-so-funny tone to it. Here are the links:

Prolog

Day 1
Night 1
Day 2
Night 2
Day 3
Night 3
Day 4
Night 4

Last edited by Flatter on Mon 15 Nov 2010, 7:22 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : added link to new episode)
Back to top Go down
spitzmagic
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
spitzmagic

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 4:03 am

and oh my what a delightful read it is too. Flatter I enjoyed it tons and tons. cheers
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 10:28 am

I just HAVE to agree with Barb... Sparklewood is refreshing and it has some Stephen King kind of atmosphere (not the horror, but the something is going to happen kind) Like something is in the air but no one notices it yet. You build up the story very good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesimsresource.com/artists/fredbrenny
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 4:11 pm

Awww, you two girls are just too kind Smile. I'm blushing all over. Thank you very much, it's very much appreciated!

PS: While Stephen King is playing in a totally different league, I had to grin about Fred's description of his writing style. He is really gifted in building up tension. I am sure SK could make it worthwile to read how an orange is getting peeled Smile
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 4:46 pm

Flatter wrote:
I am sure SK could make it worthwile to read how an orange is getting peeled Smile

Exactly! Suspect
Back to top Go down

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 1:26 am

Hi Flatter, sorry, have been neck deep in assignments and budgets and haven't gotten to this yet - hopefully on the weekend Smile
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 11:51 am

I have just released a new episode. The link has been placed up there in my first post. Although I have already done most of the writing for two additional parts, I am very slow at creating and adding pictures to it. I am really no good at it. Somehow I still haven't figured out how to use moveobjects with Sims, but that's between you and me Wink . I am sure after the next two parts are released too, the waiting time between new releases will increase a lot!

The tweaking of the narrative is also not easy, because I must always force me not to fall back to a German language style and figures of speech. To illustrate it: Probably one of the most-well known examples is the english "out of the frying pan into the fire" which doesn't sound well in a German word-by-word translation (Germans would say "from the rain into the rainwater pipe" instead which probably sounds strange and less fitting to english ears) . I think it's the same with the idioms and the rhythm of a language. Germans like long sentences, at example. I find myself writing long and complicated sentences in English, especially in the TSR help forum, when I write fast. They come quite easily, but somehow they never sound as elegant as the "original" German sentence I initially had in my mind. Sometimes I suspect good English would translate into bad German if translated word-by-word slavishly. And vice versa. That's why I always spent some extra time with the text. I want to make it sound like good, natural English. I am a bit ashamed to admit but I was really proud when I received praises for my narrative. While I am pretty sure I will never achieve the high picture quality like some of you seem to do with ease, my ambitions focus on the quality of the text. Uh... and on the telling of a good story, of course Smile

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy Sparklewood as much as I have fun writing it.
Back to top Go down
martoele
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
martoele

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 5:41 pm

Oh Flatter, don't excuse yourself for your english. I think it's great. It's true, it isn't easy to make the sentences in another language sounding as good as in your own. I'm struggling with that as well. Fortunately Fred is lending me a helping hand with the story that I'm setting up right now. We all want to do everything perfectly. Especially you as a german ( Very Happy ) . I things that your sentences are very beautiful and express very well what you mean to say.
I discovered your story late but better late than never. Very good! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://martoele.wordpress.com/
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 6:52 pm

martoele wrote:
We all want to do everything perfectly. Especially you as a german ( Very Happy )

Hahaha, you've got me there. Just a few days ago I had a discussion with my wife about how strongly one is influenced by the society (s)he's living in and now that. I showed it to my wife and we both had to laugh. You are so darn right about me behaving unwillingly german Smile Thank you for your kind words and greetings from my wife.
Back to top Go down

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyWed 29 Sep 2010, 3:14 pm

ohmy, I have a LOT of catching up to do on this one!!
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyFri 01 Oct 2010, 12:37 pm

Day 3 is out.

Somehow approval at TSR seems to be a bit queer. Again my story has been published together with I don't know how many other ones at the same time. I had to scroll down two pages just to find my chapter in the story section - the same happend the last time with the previous chapter. Oh well, the regular readers will find it anyway, I hope. I have added the link to Day 3 in the first posting of this thread.
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyFri 01 Oct 2010, 4:15 pm

Yes... Flatter... too bad... There were 3 blockbuster stories out today. Yours, Robs and Margo's
Sometimes it seems the story section is congested. I was able to find yours right away though, and I had a wonderful morning with my coffee and the stories! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptySun 10 Oct 2010, 11:19 am

*BUMP* Seems TSR has released the next part (Night 3). For link see above Very Happy
Back to top Go down
martoele
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
martoele

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptySun 10 Oct 2010, 12:55 pm

I discovered it very early as well. Yeah.... it's featured..... cheers cheers cheers and well deserved! king
Back to top Go down
spladoum
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
spladoum

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyFri 15 Oct 2010, 5:08 pm

Sparklewood L

When I opened up my bedroom curtains this morning, I thought of Jake and started laughing. Very Happy This is my neighbor's cat, but lately he just hangs around my backyard and cries at my window. Irony! Unfortunately milk-and-bun delivery stopped ages ago in these parts.
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyFri 15 Oct 2010, 9:28 pm

Oh my.... It is so that I am allergic to cats... but this is too cute! Nice picture Spladoum... albino April lol!
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptySat 16 Oct 2010, 4:26 pm

April... rofl lol! What an honour memories of Jake's misery manage to surface when a black cat shows up at your backdoor Very Happy It would indeed make a great picture for the story, such a pity there are not pets yet in Sims 3 (except the odd crocodile in a fishtank, of course Wink ). Thank you so much for putting up the pic, my wife and me had a great laugh Smile
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyThu 04 Nov 2010, 7:09 pm

Finally "Day 4" has seen the light of day (hmpf that was not even close to a good word-play). Currently I have some real time issues to work on the story, so the last two or so parts still missing will probably take another 2-3 weeks each to surface. Anyway, enjoy Smile.

http://www.thesimsresource.com/stories/details/title/sparklewood--day-4/category/sims3-mystery/id/19093/

(I have updated the link in the initial post as well)
Back to top Go down
spladoum
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
spladoum

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyFri 05 Nov 2010, 3:07 pm

Next two? All this craziness is happening over a week's time? Shocked Jake will be as bonkers as Titus soon. Razz
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyMon 15 Nov 2010, 7:29 pm

The plot thickens...

Night 4 has been released and despite the most hypercritical remarks of my wife it made it to the TSR front page. Read it to find out more about it! Here's the link:

Night 4

Will Jake go bonkers as April suspects?
Is love in the air?
Will vampires finally make it into the story (oh no!!!) ?
Was my wife right when she said my narrative was too overblown?

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
martoele
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
martoele

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 11:58 am

Flatter wrote:
The plot thickens...

Night 4 has been released and despite the most hypercritical remarks of my wife it made it to the TSR front page. Read it to find out more about it! Here's the link:

Night 4

Will Jake go bonkers as April suspects?
Is love in the air?
Will vampires finally make it into the story (oh no!!!) ?
Was my wife right when she said my narrative was too overblown?

Have fun!

lol! All these questions are making a nice story as well! I liked this part and am very pleased that it reached the index page!.
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyTue 16 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

Flatter wrote:
The plot thickens...

Night 4

Will Jake go bonkers as April suspects? PROBABLY
Is love in the air? MOST PROBABLY
Will vampires finally make it into the story (oh no!!!) ? NEH
Was my wife right when she said my narrative was too overblown? I DON'T KNOW...WAS SHE?

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Flatter
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Flatter

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 9:18 am

Hm, what did you mean with "I don't know... was she?", my dear Fred Very Happy YXou are not making my life easier with such evasive comments, lol
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood EmptyThu 18 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm

Flatter wrote:
Hm, what did you mean with "I don't know... was she?", my dear Fred Very Happy YXou are not making my life easier with such evasive comments, lol

... Laughing Don't worry.. Being a loving wife myself I just know we are always right... (Just kidding)! Laughing I LOVE Sparklewood!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sparklewood Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sparklewood   Sparklewood Empty

Back to top Go down

Sparklewood
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Residence :: The Grand Library-
Jump to: