Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mod, mods, and mods!

Go down 
+3
fredbrenny
RatRaceRob
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

Mod, mods, and mods!  Empty
PostSubject: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyThu 05 Aug 2010, 3:24 am

I will honest here, installing mods I find a little scary! affraid
It may be the 'control freak' in me but I don't like adding stuff to my game that I don't know completely what it's going to do or possibly mess up.

Just wondering what mods other people already have in their game and if they have found them beneficial to playing or are there regrets after installing them.

Smile
Back to top Go down
RatRaceRob
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
RatRaceRob

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyThu 05 Aug 2010, 4:37 am

>For shooting I use a number of mods from MTS... Sleep no Zs, no musical notes, no mosaic, etc. (HideHeadlineEffects On cheat may take care of some of these, been awhile since I played without and I don't recall)... not sure if those count as full blown mods, but while I don't necessarily mind seeing those things in others' screen shots, makes me crazy in my own (for example, it's hard for me to really feel the romance watching two of my sims spooning together with Zs up their noses Very Happy )
>For play I use ... Awesome Mod (MATY). In fact I sadly admit I find certain aspects of the Sims3 unplayable without it, although I do 'configure it' to my taste and don't use all the features it is capable of. I have never had a problem with AM other than it 'expiring' every now and then and needing to be updated (just re-downloaded and installed), although it does mean I absolutely cannot patch or add an expansion before AM updates (well, I could, I just would have to nix AM). The only thing I would suggest to anyone before installing AM is... you've got to read the info the creator posts, particularly about installing and what it does in the read me... Skip that, and you may face disaster Wink
>Now... Cameras. I use three camera mods from MTS: No Drift_Low Level (cmomoney), No Camera Fade On Sims (Claeric), No Drift Free Cam (Aikea_Guinea)... if you've never played with camera mods, these can take some getting used to, but I say with all honesty if I didn't have the camera mods, I don't think I'd be writing Sims3 stories. The shots are way too important to me, and those mods make it possible to take a pic of just about anything I want, wherever I want. If you are familiar with the shots I take of the toddler Jules, there is absolutely no way I could get most of them without those mods. He's too low to the floor. Bless him.
>If this is just way too much information, Jen, I do apologize lol jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyThu 05 Aug 2010, 5:23 am

I was the same, Jen. Never used a mod in TS2 and had intended playing TS3 the same way - I barely even used cheats! However, I find some aspects of storytelling (and now gameplay because I'm used to it) almost impossible without them.

I started off small with the no zzzs, no musical notes, no mosaic, and worked up to the bigger and better ones when I realised the sky wouldn't fall in if I used mods. (HideHeadlineEffects doesn't block out the zzzzs or musical notes unfortunately.)

Now, I have all the ones that Rob mentioned except AwesomeMod. I prefer to play with the Extended Game Core (adult version) from MTS. It has different options which suit me better than the ones with AM and it's never crashed my game, whereas Awesome has. For story progression I use Twallan's.

Hard to believe 12 months ago I wouldn't even use .package files and now I seem to get the bulk of my cc that way and I'm using mods I didn't even know existed! I'm actually in the process of taking out the cc I'm not using because most of my gameplay these days is storyplay. I still have the files saved on my hard drive, they're just not installed unless I need them so that my system doesn't have to deal with it when it's not in use.
Back to top Go down
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyThu 05 Aug 2010, 7:16 am

Rob - Wow, and thanks! That's some handy and great info you've given. Wink
Nice to meet you btw.

I use all cheats but only have the no mosaic mod.
I agree about the Z's up their nose while spooning too. Haha. I could have used that mod for a chapter I posted recently instead of agonizing over every angle to try to cut out the Z's!

Yes I've read about the AM that you can configure it to your liking but it all still sounds a little scary to me still. And the fact that I can't patch or add a new EP is a bit of a bummer. As I pretty much add those straight away.
Those camera mods sound very cool. The shots in my stories are very important to me too, so this I would be willing to learn to use. I def will stop by your minisite and check out those shots of Jules (and to read your stories too.) Wink

Illandrya - Too right that the cheat hideheadlineffects doesn't cut out the Z's and music notes. We wish it was that easy! But I think he means with that mod he then use's that cheat and they don't show up?
I will check out the EGC mod and read up on it. Maybe I can then decided which one will suit me better.
As for story progression, I don't play with the rest of the neighborhood but it would be nice for them age every now and then. lol

Thanks guys, no doubt I will be back later with more Q's. lol Smile
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyThu 05 Aug 2010, 8:45 pm

The cool thing about Twallans story progression is that you can simply change households, even when you are abroad and play with them (even NPC's) I used that in The French Connection- Fred & Barb story) I could easily switch between the girls and the twin brothers living in another house... I have it on my computer, but have not installed it at the moment (after the BIG crash where I lost Cheng Wang Liang...or Chen Yang Liang... I am not sure what the guys name is after yesterday night... hahahaha)
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesimsresource.com/artists/fredbrenny
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

Fred - Yes I would really like to be able to do that as well. As other characters in The Drifter, for example, will be making an appearance a little more this time around and it is such a pain having to go back and fourth the normal way. Plus I really don't like loosing their wants!! That so bugs me! Evil or Very Mad

Rob - I installed those camera mods today. So cool how you can get close up on the floor. I don't have any toddlers...yet (lol)...but it will definitely come in useful.
I did find them to be a bit jerky though, zooming in/out with my mouse wheel. EA's normal camera mode (including the tab thingy) I found a lot smoother.
What did you think? Smile
Back to top Go down
RatRaceRob
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
RatRaceRob

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 10:56 pm

Jen- I've been using these cams so long I no longer know the difference between them and EA cams un-modded lol... I'll try to answer as best I can...

I 'tab out' always myself, and this is a smooth transition for me. my understanding is the cam mods are what allow me to get so close to a sim that I can actually take shots, like, looking through the sim they are talking too... like there are no limits to where that camera can go. I should have also mentioned ((so sorry for this)) a 'glitch' that could well be EA straight up and have nothing to do with the mods-- I do not use 'x' or 'y' to move the cam, only 'q, w, e, a, s and d. Using x and y distorts the view-- like elongates things or something, and jerks the cam. I could swear I saw this happening even in an un-modded game, although that has been some time ago now and I may be mistaken. When I accidentally use x or y and that warped effect takes over ((I type eyes on screen, which isn't to say I'm great at it, so this happens enough it is well burned into my brain lmao)), I have never been able to get rid of it without having to exit to main menu and reboot the game I'm working. Very annoying ((like, visit from Badly the Clown annoying)). The only other issue I've had is the cam seems, at times, to be hypersensitive, particularly if I resort to EA control buttons ((zoom, tilt, etc.)) or edge scrolling ((i.e. sometimes a nudge takes it from in-house to backyard in an eye-blink)) but once again, I have no idea if that is EA or my mods, and it is easily avoided for me by tabbing out and using only the keys to move the cam.

Hope this helps... and sorry for the long delay in response... I'm afraid that may happen a lot with me in forum speak and I apologize for that-- currently balancing home, work, dysfunctional Simanskis and... ah... *cough* ... World of Warcraft... Embarassed jocolor
Back to top Go down
martoele
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
martoele

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 1:21 am

I've got the same cameras as you Rob and I am very happy with them as well! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://martoele.wordpress.com/
Mangio
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
Mangio

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 1:17 pm

I have downloaded a bazillion mods, and they are all fine.
Just need updates here and there, makes your game a lot more fun.

Don't be scared, just backup everything before you install and you should be alright.
No need to be afraid of them poofing into thin air Wink

Back to top Go down
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 10 Aug 2010, 1:45 am

Rob - I don't even use x and y. And never realized there was q, w, e, a, s and d! lol I do use 'Tab' a lot now and just scroll in and out with my mouse wheel. Maybe using the scroll isn't so good. I will try those other keys and test them out. Wink
No stress on your delayed response, I was waiting patiently. Smile

Mango - Poofing into this air...lol...you read my mind. Laughing I should stop being a wuss and just install them...after I back up my files that is. Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptySun 15 Aug 2010, 12:38 am

I've never used the keyboard shortcuts and I didn't know about all the other letters either!!

Ooooh, now I'm going to have to load my game and have a play - oh, wait, I'm supposed to be finishing off the next Veronika chapter. Right, I'll state it here and now, if the screenies in the next Veronika chapter are a bit off, blame Rob for telling me about the camera controls Laughing
Back to top Go down
martoele
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
martoele

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptySun 15 Aug 2010, 1:43 am

Judi, we'll be waiting impatiently for the next Veronika Storm chapter. I'm sure you'll do all right with the camaras. I'm using them as well. Very Happy Have a great sunday.
Back to top Go down
http://martoele.wordpress.com/
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyWed 18 Aug 2010, 3:55 am

I finally installed Twallan's MC. What in the blazes was I waiting for??? hahaha
This mod is awesome! Super super cool!

I discovered a mod on MTS called the Chaos mod, has anyone tried this one out?
Apparently you can make your sims do certain interactions and...sort of...expressions. Sounds perfect for story telling. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyWed 18 Aug 2010, 6:36 am

Jen, I've been waiting for them to update it to the latest version before downloading and testing. I know that Lunar Fox and several other sim bloggers use it and swear by it as well as the other chaos mods like the foodex and the carrier one.
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyWed 18 Aug 2010, 11:31 am

Oh yes... now I read this I have to re-install Twallans SP mod again, and the chaos mod sounds like fun! rabbit
Back to top Go down
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyFri 20 Aug 2010, 8:18 am

So i installed the Chaos Mod. Had a quick look at it in game but didn't really have much time to fully check out what it could do.
They did say on MTS that you can make your sims cry but I didn't see any option for that. But like I said I only had a quick look at it in game.

My game was running soooooo sloooow too. Sad Not sure if it's the Vista update thing that you were talking about, Illandrya, but either way if I had any more of these package files I won't even be able to play the game properly!

Reminds me of the days when I had TS2 installed on my old computer. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 7:27 am

I put chaos mod in my game on the weekend and my sims started disappearing as soon as they talked to another sim.

I've taken it back out again and will wait until the next update - it's a pity, because I really want to access the functions it provides.
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 1:59 pm

No I am not putting in any mods now, now that ...finally .. the game runs without a problem. IO won't need it for building, but I might give it a try when I am doing a new story. Just because it sounds like you get neat effects using the chaos mod. Maybe I wait untill the next SP or EP and it is all updated and the dust settles down... will that ever be the case? I guess not. Curiousity will win in the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 2:03 pm

*oops* I spoke too soon. My sims are still disappearing so it's obviously not the Chaos mod. It must be story progression one, which is strange because I've used that one before.
Back to top Go down
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 5:14 pm

Well I removed it because my game was running waaaaaay to slow.

I think it's that stupid Vista update! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 5:24 pm

I am seriously thinking of upgrading that stupid Vista to Windows 7, or XP even!!! I haven't been able to slaying the Vista Dragon in two years and My laptop (windows 7) and old computer (XP) run better than my super duper top of the bill desktop
Back to top Go down
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 5:32 pm

Gee I must be up late or your up early. lol

My game has been running so slow ever since I added the package files. I just can't part with some of them, the clothing is just too good! ...for my simmies. haha
We are thinking of upgrading to W7....but it's such a task to do so. I really loath having to uninstall / reinstall my game. Grrrr. Neutral

Okay I just spent way to long deciding on a smiley...best be off to bed now. lol

Sleep
Back to top Go down
fredbrenny
Blockbuster Writer
Blockbuster Writer
fredbrenny

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 5:52 pm

Have you tried modifying your .exe file (C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\....) on your computer telling it to use more than 2 GB for the Sims3???
I did that and now it runs smooth as a.. well... what is smooth? A baby's butt?
Back to top Go down
Rosaleena
Paperback Pauper
Paperback Pauper
Rosaleena

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyTue 24 Aug 2010, 8:17 pm

Heres' my recommendation.
Don't upgrade, downgrade!
On my XP computer, Sims ran beautifully. Now on Vista.. that's a different story. Vista is quite an unstable operating system, XP is much more stable. More downloads are available for it, too. And not nearly as many updates. Sims runs much better on XP, in my opinion.

Or, try this. Right click on the .exe file that runs TS3, and click 'Properties' and then click the 'Compatibility tab'. Click 'Run this program in compatibility mode for...' and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2). If it doesn't work, or makes it slower, then just go back again and uncheck the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for..' box Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesimsresource.com/members/Rosaleena
RatRaceRob
Small Time Scribe
Small Time Scribe
RatRaceRob

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  EmptyThu 02 Sep 2010, 1:25 pm

Greetings and another late post-- just wanted to add my name to the list of folks purposely running sims on the "downgrade" XP to avoid Vista. Yep. Me too. Although my computer buddy is pushing for me to go Windows 7, so I may be doing that within a month or two ((but I hate the idea of reinstalling everything also, Jen No ))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mod, mods, and mods!    Mod, mods, and mods!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Mod, mods, and mods!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Behind the Scenes :: Secret Laboratory-
Jump to: